For all of the men who follow my blog (which I am pretty sure is only my daddy)...be warned this is a labor story. I won't be leaving out any details (though at the moment I can think of nothing particularly disgusting), because lets face it...these are my memories. So if you feel a little bit squeamish about labor stories, please don't feel the need to read any further.
My doctor told me a week before that I would be induced April 28th if I didn't go into labor on my own. He told me that I would most likely get a call from the hospital sometime Wednesday afternoon or evening. April 27th, I received a phone call from my doctor's office telling my that my ob/gyn had bumped me up a day (that day) and to be expecting a call that afternoon evening. Being nervous to eat much, I called the doctor's office back around lunchtime, to see if they knew where I was on the waiting list. Turns out I wouldn't be called until after 5. So I ate...but not much, I was so nervous (as posted in the last blog, mostly about leaving my Bailey). The doctor's office was kind enough to give me the number to the hospital to check my status, and told me to call at 5. At 5:00 there was one lady ahead of me. We called back at 8, and were told that I probably wouldn't be called until after midnight. My ob/gyn had told us that the hospital only called between 5am and midnight for inductions, but when we asked the lady at the hospital, she said that when they were as busy as they were, they would call anytime. So I ate a bowl of cereal, and after talking a little more with my in-laws, who came Tuesday night so Chad's mom could come to the labor room with me, and Chad's dad could stay and watch Bailey, we went to sleep. I think I finally calmed enough to fall asleep about 11:30, I woke up around 2:30-3, and didn't fall back asleep until 5:15 to be awakened not fifteen minutes later by my daughter. haha! Chad called the hospital, and asked what was going on. They said if we could be at the hospital by 7, we could come in. My in-laws were already at our house...so needless to say other then getting showered and a little last minute packing, we were ready to go. We left the house but not before mommy shed a few tears over leaving my first baby. We arrived at the hospital, and before long I was in a room with my hubby and mother in law waiting for them to start the pitocin. I had about a million emotions running through me. I was missing my baby, but so excited to meet my new baby. I was nervous about the labor. I was anxious remembering how rough my last labor and delivery was. You name it I was probably feeling it. My mom got there just as they were starting the pitocin (about 8:30). Turns out...those little pains I had been feeling a couple weeks prior and up to the start of labor were contractions. You may be thinking, you have already had a baby, how could you not know what contractions felt like...well, with Bailey, I had back labor. I never felt a single contraction in my abdomen, and it was very different. Anyways, when I was in labor with Bailey, I didn't do to well (ask my mom, she will tell you JUST how horribly I did). So I was determined to breathe through the pain this time. To take control. I was around 4 centimeters, breathing through the contractions, which were peaking pretty high on the monitors, so I asked for an epidural. A lot of women seem to look down on this, and want to go all natural. This is fine...in fact I would have liked to have been able to do so, but I am not at all against using the epidural, and preventing pain, if I know I can't handle it. So at 4 centimeters, I knew I wouldn't be able to take much more...so I got an epidural. Once that kicked in, I got to sleep, for about an hour. The epidural worked!! I couldn't even feel the contractions, again, much different than my labor with Bailey. With her, the epidural worked for about an hour, and then I felt EVERYTHING!!! Anyways, the nurse came in, woke me up and said, my doctor was going to be in a few minutes to break my water (because I had already had a slight rupture, but it didn't break all the way). Then she checked me and and said I was at a 9! I was shocked. The doctor also checked me before he broke my water and said I was at a nine and to get ready to have my baby within the hour. I was so excited and nervous. I was at a ten in no time. I still couldn't feel a thing. I couldn't feel contractions, I couldn't feel my body telling my to bear down when it was time to push. In this way, I feel like the delivery was harder than Bailey's because at least I could tell what my body was doing. The nurses were yelling at me to push. My mom, Chad's mom, and Chad were all there encouraging me and supporting me (literally and emotionally). It was so hard, trying to push my hardest and the nurses still telling me I wasn't pushing enough. I could feel Logan's head, but I couldn't push it out. Eventually the doctor had to use a vacuum (admittedly, I was a little sad about this, and it scared me). Logan's head came out of me, and instead of shooting out of me like Bailey did when her head came out, he became stuck. Also, Chad later told me that Logan's umbilical cord was wrapped so tightly around his neck, and that he was a blue-ish color the doctor had to cut it immediately before I finished pushing him out of me. Logan's shoulder was stuck, i had a nurse on the bed with me pushing on my stomach, and another one the floor pushing on my stomach. They had a hard time getting him out of me. My mom said they even brought a crash cart in. She and my mother in law left the room for awhile because they said they weren't able to keep control of their emotions and didn't want to worry me. When he was born I got just one glimpse of his little face and I grew another heart, so full of love for him. I thought he looked just like Bailey.They had to help him breathe four or five breaths. Then His left arm wasn't moving (shoulder dystensia [sp?]) because it had been stuck. They weighed him (8lbs 7oz and 19 3/4 inches long) and told me I could only hold him for a few minutes before they had to take him to NICU. I cherished the few seconds I had with my son, and then he and his daddy went to NICU. I was so worried. They told me he would be in there at least 4 hours...but he did so well, he was out in 2 hours and met me in my room just a few minutes after I got there.
Kallie! He really does look JUST like Bailey - same smile! What a handsome boy! :) They used a vacuum on Zach's head too - scary, and seriously, I can still feel the misshapen area on his head - they did a number on his poor head, but they needed to get him out! LOL. Glad everything ended well, and I'm glad you are enjoying being a mom of 2!
ReplyDeleteAww I got all teary eyed reading this. Then the tears started flowing at the last part.
ReplyDelete